Saturday 18 February 2012

Aurica sampler, part 1



A few weeks into the Take a Stitch Challenge, I got the idea to experiment a bit and stitch with some of my novelty yarn instead of just using embroidery floss. Of all the knitting yarns, I picked up a ball of Red Heart Aurica ribbon yarn. It turned out to be a lot of fun working with it in my needlework.

Here is the first "sampler" of the TAST stitches I've made with the yarn so far. Hopefully it might be of inspiration to others who enjoy needlework and wants to try something a little bit different. As usual you can click on the pics for a larger image.


Feather stitch


The sample that started it all. Loved the effect and decided I should try to do every stitch with this yarn.


Detached chain stitch



This week's stitch was detached chain or daisy stitch. I will make a proper TAST post on this stitch next week. Until then you'll have to make due with these experiments, mostly made thinking they could be used as petals for embroidered flowers or perhaps dragonfly wings.


Blanket stitch, Fly stitch & Herringbone stitch


For the herringbone I did both a single and double version of the stitch.


Cretan stitch


As with the herrinbone, I also tried a double version of this stitch.


Chevron stitch


With the chevron stitch, I only got this far, trying just one basic version.


Straight stitches



This isn't part of the TAST challenge and I don't think it will be either, being such a basic stitch. The long stitches are twisted, one harder than the other -- a silk ribbon embroidery technique I read about at Di van Niekerk's blog.


~*~ You can find all my TAST posts here. ~*~

6 comments:

  1. Your stitching and blog are definitely an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You have created so many shapes with the yarn. Leaves, greenery insects, birds, even eyes! Milka

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your creative way of using novelty yarn made me immediately think of Lesley Turpin-Delport's lovely projects in her book Embroidered Flora and Fauna. Your idea to use Aurica yarn is even more surprising than using that kind of materials for fur, feathers and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your lovely comments!

    At the moment I don't have time to do much embroidery, but I'm thinking it might be fun stitch and autumn tree or something with this yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The aurica yarn creates a whole new range off effects - a great inspiration for further experimentation and using new yarns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So exciting...I'm waiting for part 2.Your stitches change their looks from "ordinary" to something new. It is still possible to identify the stitches as their structure is visible. I never thought of using novelty yarn for classical stitches.

      Delete

A few words can mean so much. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

PS! Feel free to email me if you don't want to comment publicly -- look under Contact (under the header)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...