Wednesday 4 January 2012

Embroidery on filigree -- an update



I wrote about embroidering on filigree a few days ago and promised to show some more of it when it was finished. And here it is, my embroidered gunmetal filigree.

I'm thinking of adding a backing of leather, faux skin or somesuch to protect the threads on the back and add findings. Because of that I haven't fastened the floss used to whip the edges as I'll have to redo it, whipping the backing to the filigree. It'll either be a pendant or a brooch. Brooch was my first thought, but I fear the cast filigree might be a bit too heavy for that so a pendant is more likely now.

I also made a second pendant, stitching on a thin stamped brass filigree. It's a very simple "design" that I made while pondering what to stitch on the gunmetal filigree.

The brass filigree had larger open spaces which made it harder to stitch on, both in terms of creating designs and stitches and in terms of hiding the threads on the back (e.i. you can't travel with the thread as much as in the gunmetal filigree).

9 comments:

  1. I thought in lovely when I saw your first post but now - WOW!

    Can't wait to see you take your designs further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's a lot of fun stitching on filigree, though it can be frustrating at times as you are limited to the holes in the filigree unlike with fabric where you can push down the needle where ever you want. And a few holes where too small for the needle to pass through. On the other hand, that's what makes it a fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They both turned out very nice, although the gunmetal is my favorite. I used to embroidery all the time, but haven't in quite a while. But these make me want to start again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm so excited to see the final result. They both turned out wonderful. I'm so glad you tried this, it is such a beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flipping amazing. You'll have to email me and tell me if I can try my hand at that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Lori: I'll write you as soon as I can (computer's acting up so I'm a bit behind on some things right now).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never seen this application for filigree. What imagination.
    Both are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both filigrees are beautiful. What a wonderful design idea. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete

A few words can mean so much. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

PS! Feel free to email me if you don't want to comment publicly -- look under Contact (under the header)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...