Wednesday 8 February 2012

TAST week 5: Herringbone stitch


English name: Herringbone stitch
Swedish name: Flätsöm; häxsöm, flanellstygn

A little late, but here's finally a summary of what I did with the fifth TAST stitch. Herringbone is one of the stitches I really like, but haven't used in a while. I've actually used it in jewellery too: in the Celtic Braid Cuff Bracelet, I stitched a herringbone variation called interlaced band with waxed cotton cord on leather.

Last week I didn't get that much done. Of cause I had to try the Aurica yarn. I like how it forms elliptical shapes. Not so fond of the double version, though.



For this week I also wanted to make some "messy" uneven stitches. I like the second row in green, think it worked well. Which I can't say about what was supposed to be threaded stitches using eyelash yarn. I threaded the yarn al wrong, but I guess it works this way too when using this kind of yarn... The lemon/leaf thing was intended to be stitched on both sides, but so far I've only added herrinbone stitches to the bottom half.

And that's all I got around to doing. Below are some variations I did last autumn when doodling.


 Double herringbone stitches. Top row has been 
stitched down with running stitches in the middle.

  Threaded herringbone.

  Herringbone stitches in varying lengths and heights.

 More herringone, open and closed.

 Double herringone stitches (top) and two rows, 
meant as base for interlaced band (below).

Several layers of open stitches on top of each other. 
Looks similar to fjädersöm, a dense type of 
herringbone, but not stitched like it.

---
What is TAST?

Take a Stitch Tuesday is a weekly embroidery challenge throughout the year by Sharon of Pin Tangle. You can read more about it here (or by clicking the TAST badge to the right).


To see what others have done in this stitch, check out the comments in this post on Pin Tangle. Be sure not to miss Sharon's lovely stitch variations in the actual post.

3 comments:

  1. AMAZING again. You are a very creative person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting series of experiments, that will form a useful resource in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Nicola and Rachel!

    ReplyDelete

A few words can mean so much. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

PS! Feel free to email me if you don't want to comment publicly -- look under Contact (under the header)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...