Monday 14 June 2010

Finally! A riveted flower


So... I've been meaning to try riveting as I've been interested in the technique for some time. After buying Susan Lenart Kazmer's book Making Connections, I actually did make a rivet headpin (i.e. a headpin with a head hammered the way you hammer a head on a wire rivet). But never any riveted connections as I didn't have a drill, nor the right gauge wire to rivet together pieces with existing holes. Also, I have a long list of things I want to try so other things got in the way.

But now, finally, I've actually made a riveted object. The "cheat" way -- used premade rivets. I recently bought both some thick copper rivets and some smaller Vintaj antiqued brass rivets. So I took a copper rivet, which was exactly the right size for the metal flower parts (except the sepals/leaves where I had to ream the hole a bit, using a metal file), cut it off and hammered it down.

I did damage the enamel (paint) in the middle, being a tad too careless when hammering, but other than that I'm pretty pleased with how the piece turned out. The rivet formed a nice and even head. Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic of the back -- the side I hammered on -- so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Now I just have to figure out how I want to use this piece. My thought have been to add a bail behind one ot the sepals/leaves, but that means using glue and I wanted to avoid that in this piece (or else, I'd just glue the floral parts together). And I'm not going to make a hole in the enamelled pieces. So what's left? Making a seedbeaded creation and attaching the flower by stitching? Or wirework? So far, I've no idea how I'll use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A few words can mean so much. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

PS! Feel free to email me if you don't want to comment publicly -- look under Contact (under the header)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...