I'm sitting here -- after a short working day (2 hours) -- and waiting for my book order to arrive. It feels like ages ago that I ordered them (last week)... No books in the mail today, but perhaps tomorrow?
Anyway, since I'm thinking about nothing but books -- the ones I bought and the ones I want to buy -- I got the idea to make a short list of beading and jewellery making books I've reviewed on my other blog. Mostly books in english, but also swedish, danish, dutch, french, japanese books can be found in my collection -- eventhough I don't even speak all those languages!
List of reviewed bead and jewellery making books 2008-2011Books listed by name of author. Click on the title of each book to go directly to the review post in question. Of cause all reviews are written in Swedish; if you want, you can translate them using Google Translate.
- Atkins, Robin: Beaded Treasures. Finger Woven Bracelets, Necklaces, Tassels & Straps. (2006, Tiger Press)
- Barta, Melinda: Custom Cool Jewelry. Create 200+ Personalized Pendants, Charms and Clasps. (2008, Interweave)
- Belle Armoire Jewelry (Stampington)
- Davis, Jane: Bead Embroidery: The Complete Guide. Bring New Dimension to Classic Needlework. (2005, Krause Publications)
- Eriksson, Mariana & Birgitta Videgård: Smycka dig. (1997, LTs förlag)
- Frey, Kathy: Elegant Wire Jewelry. Contemporary Designs & Creative Techniques. (2007, Lark Books)
- Goodhue, Horace: Indian Bead-Weaving Patterns. Chain-Weaving Designs, Bead Loom Weaving and Bead Embroidery -- An Illustrated "How-To" Guide. Revised and Expanded Edition (1989, Bead-Craft)
- de Graaf, Leane: Kralenfantasie/Perlenphantasie/Beadfantasy/Féerie de Perles (2005, Leane Creatief) [review of whole series of booklets]
- Greer, John Michael & Clare Vaughn: Pagan Prayer Beads. Magic and Meditation with Pragan Rosaries. (2007, Red Wheel/Weiser Books)
- Haab, Sherri: Designer Style Jewelry. Techniques and Projects for Elegant Designs From Classic to Retro. (2004, Watson-Guptill)
- Hettmansperger, Mary: Fabulous Woven Jewelry. Plaiting, Coiling, Knotting, Looping & Twining with Fiber & Metal. (2006, Lark Books)
- Hewitt, Jema: Tiaras and Bridal Jewellery. (Rainbow Disks, CD book)
- Hooghe, Christine & Sylvie: Crystal Beaded Jewellery (2004, Search Press)
- Hørmann, Karen & Anette Ib: Smykker af strandsten. Forlaget (2004, Hørmann & Ib)
- Hørmann, Karen & Anette Ib: Sølvperler. (2001, Forlaget Hørmann & Ib)
- Japanese bead books
- Jones, Linda: Making Colourful Wire & Beaded Jewellery. 35 fabulous designs. (2004, Cico Books)
- King, Kenneth D.: Designs for Bead Embroidery. 150 Patterns and Complete Techniques. (2006, Search Press)
- Krona och krans. Smycka till fest och bröllop. (2005, Tidskriften Hemslöjden/Svenska Hemslöjdsföreningarnas Riksförbund)
- Kummli, Heidi & Sherry Serafini: The Art of Bead Embroidery. Technique, Design, & Inspiration. (2007, Kalmbach Publishing)
- Lawergren, S.: Handvirkat (1964, Aktiebolaget E. Holmqvists Eftr)
- Lenart Kazmer, Susan: Making Connections. A Handbook of Cold Joins for Jewelers and Mixed-Media Artists. (2008, Disegno Productions)
- MacDuffee, Melody: Boutique Bead & Jewelry. (2008, Lark Books)
- McGrath, Jinks: The Jeweller's Directory of Decorative Finishes. From Enameling and Engraving to Inlay and Granulation. (2005, A &C Black; American edition: k p books)
- Miller, Sharilyn: Contemporary Copper Jewelry. Step-by-step, techniques and projects. (2009, Interweave Press)
- Millodot, Suzen: Celtic Knots for Beaded Jewellery (2006, Search Press)
- Rhodes-Moen, Jeanne: Silver Threads. Making Wire Filigree Jewelry. (2006, Kalmbach Books)
- Rohn, Valérie: Pampilles ambiance déco (2006, LTA Décoration)
- Root, Gineke: Van Kraal tot Sieraad (2004, Cantecleer)
- Ryan, M. T.: Glamorous Beaded Jewelry (2006, Creative Homeowner)
- Thomas, Susan C.: Link It! Colorful Chain Mail Jewelry with Rubber O-Rings. (2008, Lark Books)
- Tourtillott, Suzanne (ed.): Making Beautiful Beads: metal, glass, fiber, polymer clay. (2002, Lark Books)
- Vintaj Jewelry Technique Book. (2010, Vintaj Natural Brass Co.)
- Wallace, Sandra: The Beader's Colour Mixing Directory. 200 colour schemes for beautiful beadwork. (2007, Search Press)
- Winell-Garvén, Iréne & Margareta Nyde: Med pärlor och tråd. Trädning och broderi, vävning och makramé, stickning och virkning. (1974, ICA-förlaget)
- Withers, Sara & Stephanie Burnham: Pärlteknik -- så skapar du egna smycken. (2005, Prisma) [Swedish edition of The Encyclopedia of Beading Techniques]
- Yoko: Beads Jewellery for Happy Wedding [english subtitle] (2005, Jitsugyo no Nihon Sha)
~ * ~
I also read magazines, though with a few exceptions I have found that I prefer books, but Belle Armoire Jewelry is so far the only mag I've gone as far as reviewing. Partially because that's one of the few mags I had several recent issues of; reviewing a mag based on one issue feels somewhat unjuste and reviewing a mag based on what it was like two or three years ago when I subscribed or regularly bought copies is even more unfair and gives a dated and perhaps even wrong view of what the mag is like today (and tomorrow).
I haven't reviewed any books in a while now. Since the books only are ones found at the local library -- not that many of interest -- or bought when my budget allowed such luxuries, the number of reviews I can make are very limited. The first couple of years I simply reviewed books from my bookshelf, but now I've already reviewed most of those. Well, at least I'll hopefully sometime during this week get one book that'll be perfect to review on the blog. After that I'm not sure how many more book purchases my budget will allow (seeing how I want to buy supplies too, not just books).
PS! Would you be interested to read my future reviews here, in english, too? Just let me know if you do and I'll include them here as well.