Friday 29 November 2013

WIP scarf update




Oh, I wish I had finished the scarf last night because it turned out it could've been useful today. But it's still on the planning stage as I did try a few variations last night, as you can (perhaps) see above.

First I tried "1 over 2", the stitch where you make an extra row of loops and then pull the bottom loop over two loops on the peg instead of one. Probably have a fancier name, but I don't know it. Then there's a few rows of basic knitting just for reference and then I finished by trying to make a figure 8 stitch (weaving the yarn back and forth between the pegs instead of looping around them). That I won't do again as the yarn kept slipping of when weaving it and then I dropped a stitch in the middle and it was just ruined. To conclude, just very basic stitches since that's all I know how to do, but partially also because you don't see the detail of intricate knits when using eyelash yarn so there's no reason to put time into a pattern that can't be seen.

Don't know if you can see the switch between knits even as it's such a furry yarn. The "1 over 2" is to the right and the 8 stitch is just the last few rows on the left. It's easier to see the difference between the two denser stitches and the basic knitting when backlit so I put the test swatch on a lamp so you can see the open structure (gaps if you prefer) of the basic knit part.




Flipping it over to show the backside might also help as you can see more of a ribbed texture where I stitched 1 over 2 (left) and a faintly visible wavy texture where knitted in figure eights (right).




The big problem, however, is that now that I tried that "over 2" stitch, I can't decide whether I want to use that, which creates a nice thick knit, or the basic knitting, which creates a lacy, lightweight knit. The latter really keeps that light, soft feel of the yarn while the former creates and seemingly warmer scarf that's denser and that I don't worry will snag on something and be damaged. Doubt there's yarn enough to do one of each.

So the question is: go with a lightweight, "open" scarf which is fast and easy to make and feels like soft down against the skin (and also uses less of the yarn) or go for a thicker, denser scarf in hopes of it being warmer and more durable? It's really hard to decide... Maybe it's just time to let it rest for a day or two while focusing on another, more pressing project?




If there's enough yarn left after making the scarf (yeah, I've no idea how much yarn you need to knit anything), maybe I should do a pair of matching muddar too? Trying to to remember the english name for muddar/pulsvärmare/vristvärmare. Is is as simple as wrist warmers? *runs off googling it* Yeah, that seems to work. Even if the word seems to include fingerless mittens (halvvantar) as well.

I do have a pair -- or actually two, but the pair first made (see below, for a word challenge; my word was chanterelles) turned out to be too short once the yarn stretched out. So I made a second pair without pearls. Very easy to make, great beginner's project -- and a useful one if you live in a colder climate. The only trouble is that once you start making them, it's hard to stop!




But, really, it's too early to think about that when I can't even decide how to knit the scarf... And who knows how much yarn I'll have left. It might very well not be enough. And, anyway, I really should focus on that challenge piece now!

4 comments:

  1. The yarn is beautiful. I usually knit my scarves with rather big needles, when using a novelty yarn like that. Bigger than recommended for the yarn. The air kept trapped in the weave makes a scarf with rather big holes warm. Big needles make a soft scarf. Milka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enivironmentalism and all, it's hard not to fall for those fluffy acrylic eyelash yarns. So soft and cozy! Perfect for scarves and vrist warmers.

      The only problem with using a knitting ring is that you can't adjust the pegs. A bit like have to few sizes of knitting/crochet needles to choose between. It would've been great if they were just a little close to each other. But I'm hoping the scarf will turn out ok anyway. Think it'll still be a little loose and airy using "1 over 2".

      Delete
  2. You could decorate the scarf with some beautiful beads. I love the yarn you have chosen. Knitting with a knitting loom or a knitting board looks difficult. Knitting with needles is easy, just start with medium yarn and needles. There are many videos showing how to knit. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, beads could be neat. Will have to see about that. Maybe it'll have to wait for the next pair of wrist warmers.

      Knitting looms are pretty easy, it's just a big knitting nancy (påtdocka) so if you've done that as a kid using a loom comes natural, but I don't doubt knitting with needles is faster once you master it -- and you can adjust it more what with needle sizes and knits. It's just I like påtning and it's a technique I already know by heart after making all those "i-cords" as a kid so no need to go through the newbie phase of learning and messing up. ;-)

      Probably because it wasn't something they taught us in school, I've always been sceptical about knitting and always preferred crochet -- something mum never have understood as she finds it such a slow technique compared to knitting (she doesn't knit much now, but did make sweaters for my sis and I as kids). That said, I do wish I had one of those really thick crochet needles so I could crochet with my knitting yarns to. But knitting... Yeah, I'll leave that technique to others. *lol*

      Delete

A few words can mean so much. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

PS! Feel free to email me if you don't want to comment publicly -- look under Contact (under the header)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...