Saturday, 30 April 2011
An experimental flower
I made this little flower (approx. 2 cm wide) a couple of days ago. Have been wanting to make lentil bead flowers like these for some time now and this lovely necklace by Bead Origami made me even more inspired. As I made my first flower, I kept thinking that I wanted a second layer to it and began thinking about ways to add double petals. Another row of lentils felt too chunky (though it can be done) and I realised that small daggers would fit perfectly in the spaces between my round petals. Also, the width meant I could substitute them for the seeds on the back of the flower.
Not sure what I'm going to do with the flower. As it was just an experiment, I didn't pay much attention to colour or even tension, just thought of it as a prototype. So I won't do anything with this particular flower, but rather I'm thinking of ways to use this design element in general, for future projects. The daggers most likely need some support in order not to fold backwards if stressed so my thought was to stitch it to a ring base or some other sort of flat foundation.
It's not the best photo, but I wanted to share it right away so I'm afraid you'll have to make due with this one.