Wednesday 6 March 2013

First snowdrops




The other day I said we had no snowdrops and up until yesterday that was true. But when I looked to day, more snow had melted and both snowdrops and winter aconites (vintergäck) had started to bud and bloom. And as has become an annual tradition, the first snowdrops require a post and a note on how late or early they are this year. This year they were neither late nor early it seems. As you can see in the posts for 2012 (24/2), 2011 (15-16/3), 2010 (20/3) and 2009 (28/2).

It's really tricky to pick out the photos to post among the roughly 50 pics I saved. So it's ending up being a long post. Enjoy!













 


Mustn't forget the aconites either.The snowdrops tend to get all the attentions as they're so elegant and delicate, but the winter aconites are sunny signs of  seasons about to change that deserve some of the spotlight.


7 comments:

  1. Happy spring! I knew that it would be coming soon. Those gorgeous blooms would be very welcome here right now in this landscape that is devoid of life it seems. So cheery to see! Thank you for sharing. Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy spring to you too! It is getting colder here again so I'm not going to get all excited yet, but it's still such a lovely sign of spring approaching. And there are other signs of spring too, not least the longer days. They are very welcome!

      Delete
  2. We are still awaiting those first harbingers of spring. Thank you for sharing your lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the photos. Hope you too get some snowdrops too.

      Delete
  3. Your flower pictures are always so beautiful. Glad you managed to buy a good used camera when the old one broke. Snowdrops always remind me of my Mom, who passed away in February, leaving beautiful memories. Milka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love snowdrops because they remind me of my mother. It was touching to read about your mother. I love Maneki's spring pics. Anna

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Milka and Anna.

      Snowdrops are really gentle flowers. They fit so many moods, from joy (over spring for example) to melancholia. I have a booklet for a classical music collection CD where the snowdrop illustrates one of the more sad pieces, Grieg's Last Spring I think.

      Delete

A few words can mean so much. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

PS! Feel free to email me if you don't want to comment publicly -- look under Contact (under the header)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...